Tuesday, July 3, 2018

ITS A ZOO OUT THERE By John Mutton

ITS A ZOO OUT THERE
By John Mutton      
  This week I found out that the Clarington Council bought the Bowmanville Zoo. While the transaction only cost them 2 dollars, the process is quite concerning, let me elaborate:

The Bowmanville Zoo has nitrate levels from 110 years of animal feces all over the property and many buried animal carcasses. I remember my grandfather told me about working there in the late 1920's/30's and the amount of environmental contamination on the property.

Now let's keep in mind that this property has the Soper Creek running through it and is floodplain with no development potential other than the park/botanical gardens that Council want.

I also give you the facts that the quantified costs of 2 full time parks staff was not part of any business case as there was not a business case and why in hell did they not get a Phase 1 Environmental study for the approx 500k in clean up on these lands.

I am truly at a loss on this one. A park would be wonderful, but Clarington Council have once again not done due diligence that any possible homeowner would do. The cost of this park will never be totally quantified until the environmental and the staff are factored in as well as demolition of the buildings.

Clarington, do yourself a favour and hire an auditor general asap.

No comments:

Post a Comment