Saturday, May 13, 2023

CUSTOMER CARE HALO MR. CUSTOMER CARE

By Rosaldo Russo Allow me to begin this column by thanking the Oshawa/Central newspaper for allowing me the opportunity and access to the press. Not to many if any allow an average person like me to tell the world what I see and think. In my opinion. The Editor/Publisher is a real upstanding type of guy. He shoots from the hip and hold traditional core values. My name is Rosaldo Russo. I came to this great country to make a better life for myself and my family. I thank Canada for everything it has allowed me to do and earn. I worked construction all my life. I know the value of hard work and honesty. I remember as a boy my father always telling me to work hard and buy land. So I did. I remember days when I did not have enough to eat. I go to work... but I did not wait for hand outs. I rounded up my pride my skill and my determination to succeed and went to work. In those days the only benefits we received was the fact we were employed. Before retiring I was the owner and operator of local material supply company that allowed me to retired without worry. Now that I have time to enjoy life. I look around me and have some concern for future generations. I see that the world is finished. Excuse me my english... but I like to know who changed the definition of ‘CUSTOMER SERVICE’? It appears that what I thought customer was is no longer. That it has been transformed into this web of ‘for my convenience’ automated systems that can drive the most sane mind to the edge of insanity. These so called companies that employ such systems harp that it for our convenience. BULL, 9 out of ten is so that it expedites payments on accounts. The information available and help is pro corporation. You must click a series of choices. One leading you to another set of choices. Sometimes you reach a stall and it thanks you for calling and hangs up. Others actually have someone answer the phone. When they actually answer. They are less than helpful. I remember when I first came to this great country. My English not to good. I was shy of going out and socializing. Sometimes I would have a question and had no one to ask. We did not have google. So a friend said. Call the operator. They are really friendly. So I took his advice. When I had a question I would dial ‘0’ and boom there was this very friendly person. Compassionate and understandive. I would always apologize for my accent and she would assure me not to worry that she understood me perfectly. It was an ease to my ear to have someone not judge me. I remember sometimes calling for things like. Who do I call for my drivers license? Or ask advice on who to call when I had a problem. They were super friendly and would talk with you for ever in a day. I would pay my phone bill with pride and if I could afford it pay extra as a show of gratitude for their service. What has happened since those days. You call the phone company and good luck getting someone. Have you tried dialing ‘0’ lately? Or calling Bell for any issues... Where is my friendly operator. I remember one time on the phone with Bell on a technical support problem. I could hear roosters in the background squawking. I asked the lady where I was calling and she said, Jamaica. Try calling them for billing... If you press the English side... your heart will sink. You get this call center some place in India or the Phillipines.... With accents that make my look like I was born here. What is wrong with Bell. Now don’t get me wrong we all have to work and make a living. But come on. Your attendants should not have such horrible accents. Then they dare call you using the wrong syntax. Hallo, Mr. Rosaldo. Really, I even know that is wrong. My heart goes out to future generations. In aonther incident, I called 911. The operator there did not even know where Columbus was.... Like really. And I got to count on them to save my life. The world is messed up and there is no sign of positive change. Sad

No comments:

Post a Comment