Saturday, January 20, 2024

BRAVO TO THE RED CROSS ORCHARD PARK NY

By Joe Ingino Editor/Publisher ACCOMPLISHED WRITER/AUTHOR OF OVER 800,000 Published Columns in Canada and The United States This past week, I was transported in time to a time in America where all was good and fair. A time when you could smell apple pie in the air even thought no one was baking. That warm fuzzy feeling that only pure wholesomeness can offer. Ok, let me explain. This past week. I passed by Buffalo, NY. as I do every month. This time it was different. The highway I was to go on was closed due to a real bad storm blowing from Lake Erie. I decided to take the side roads. All was going well until such time as the wind Gods decided to dump four feet in 10 minutes. Life became strange. I was the only one on the road. With the exception of snow plows. It got so bad I had to pull off in a gas station parking lot. The wind was blowing hard and you could barely see your hand infront of your face. As I waited the storm out. A state trooper pulls behind me and informs me that there was a travel ban and that I was not supposed to be on the road. The officer beyond nice. He directed me to a warming center at Orchard Park Middle school. I never been to a ‘warming center’. I was preparing for the worst. Instead, I was transported back to the 50’s. The people at the center were beyond friendly. Beyond courteous and helpful. I was shocked. I felt I was in a ‘LEAVE IT TO BEAVER’ episode. Everyone at this center were so attentive and caring. It blew my mind. As we waited out the storm. It appeared it was Canadian night at the Center as most of the occupants were from Canada. Some had driven off the road into ditches others car break down. My mission for that day was to get from point A to B. I decided to coordinate intel on road conditions and radar weather patterns. Cross reference them with eye witness on road conditions. I also had to keep in mind the fact that if I did leave the safety of this sanctuary. I would face a fine and possible towing charges if in a wreck. The more I stayed the more comfortable I felt. The red cross volunteers even offered me an IMP. This further blew my mind. IMP (Individual Meal Pack). Believe it or not. Ravioli in a bag... Wow. Finally when the intel was in and the conditions looked favorable to continue my journey I took that leap of faith and connected with my highway. Even thought still closed it was plowed. I just like to say thank you, thank you to all the volunteers that night. I felt really at home. Thank you for the humanity, hospitality and the welcoming attitude and feeling. I can’t say thank you enough. Great work. I truly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment