Saturday, April 6, 2024

7 REASONS

By Rosaldo Russo Allow me to begin this column by thanking the Oshawa/Central newspaper for allowing me the opportunity and access to the press. Not to many if any allow an average person like me to tell the world what I see and think. In my opinion. The Editor/Publisher is a real upstanding type of guy. He shoots from the hip and hold traditional core values. My name is Rosaldo Russo. I came to this great country to make a better life for myself and my family. I thank Canada for everything it has allowed me to do and earn. I worked construction all my life. I know the value of hard work and honesty. I remember as a boy my father always telling me to work hard and buy land. So I did. I remember days when I did not have enough to eat. I go to work... but I did not wait for hand outs. I rounded up my pride my skill and my determination to succeed and went to work. In those days the only benefits we received was the fact we were employed. Before retiring I was the owner and operator of local material supply company that allowed me to retired without worry. Now that I have time to enjoy life. I look around me and have some concern for future generations. I see that the world is finished. When are we going to stop paying for politicians mistakes. You would think that with more people coming to the area. We would have more tax money coming in and taxes would go down. Not at the region. It appears that they took it upon themselves to increase the Regional tax by 7%. This means that a guy like me on a pension. I have to further bleed my income. I did not get a 7% pension increase. Then how is the government setting such a rate. They do not care. They make their 100k plus. This is not right. Not only are people starving and living on our streets. But these pricks think they can ignore the need and go 7%. The real bad thing is that the Region sits on 2 Billion or reserve. Here are 7 reason why the tax should not go up. Reason: 1. People can’t afford to pay mortgages, put food on the table. Every dollar is stretched to the max. They don’t get 7% increase in wages. 2. The minimum wage just went up a few cents. No,7%. How are people working 3 four jobs suppose to make it? 3. How is a 7% increase going to improve the quality of life? So far we paid 5% increase last year and have you seen any improvement? People still live on the streets and the number increasing. 4. How is it that the region can pass such a high tax without public inquiry. This is wrong. I say they should take a pay cut equal to the increase. 5. Why does the region sit on a 2 Billion dollar reserve? Are the taxes not to go for what they are sitting on? 6. A 7% this year, what next 10%. Is there a regulatory body or are we riding on a run away train? 7. People to many. 7% might as well be a financial death sentence. We the people are being treated like slaves. We are not part of the equation. The modern day slave has no recourse. What you don’t pay your bill. They cut you off. Life is not fair. I feel for future generations. This is not right and this is not the Canada I love. Politicians must be held accountable. Democracy is failing and politicians keep getting richer. Sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment