Saturday, July 18, 2026
Bird E-Scooter Pilot Review: My Experience, What I Learned,
Bird E-Scooter Pilot Review:
My Experience, What I Learned,
and Where We Go From Here
By John Meloche
Municipal Candidate for Ward 2 in in Pickering
When Pickering launched its Bird e-scooter pilot, opinions quickly became polarized. Some residents loved the added transportation option, while others raised legitimate concerns about safety, sidewalk riding, underage users, clutter, and enforcement. Rather than forming an opinion from social media posts alone, I wanted to understand the program firsthand.
So I met directly with Bird’s Durham Region management team, toured their local operations, rode the scooters throughout Pickering, asked dozens of difficult questions, and listened carefully to feedback from residents on both sides of the debate.
One thing became very clear: not every scooter people see around the city is a Bird scooter. Private e-scooters, many of which have no speed limits, no GPS tracking, and no accountability, are frequently mistaken for Bird units. That’s an important distinction because the rules, technology, and enforcement options are very different.
I was encouraged to learn that Bird operates far more sophisticated technology than many people realize. Every scooter is GPS tracked, allowing Bird and the City to monitor usage patterns, parking locations, and compliance. Geofencing allows speeds to be automatically reduced in sensitive areas and can even prevent scooters from operating in prohibited zones. Bird also operates a 24-hour support line and maintains crews that collect, charge, inspect, and reposition scooters on a daily basis.
The company has also implemented measures to discourage misuse. Riders who repeatedly park improperly or violate program rules can receive warnings, temporary suspensions, or permanent bans from the platform.
That said, technology alone is not enough.
Many of the concerns raised by residents are absolutely valid. I have personally witnessed scooters left in inconvenient locations, riders ignoring traffic laws, people riding on sidewalks, and what appear to be underage users operating scooters. Whether those incidents involve Bird scooters or privately owned devices, the public experiences them the same way.
In my view, the success of this pilot depends on three things: education, enforcement, and communication.
Many residents simply don’t know the rules. Ontario law requires riders to be at least 16 years old, and those between 16 and 17 must wear a helmet. Riding responsibly and parking properly should be clearly communicated before and during every ride.
Enforcement is equally important. Rules without enforcement quickly become suggestions. Dangerous behaviour should have consequences, whether that involves Bird removing riders from its platform or police enforcing provincial and municipal regulations when necessary.
Communication also needs improvement. Many residents don’t know who to contact when they encounter a problem scooter or have concerns about the program. Making reporting easier would help address issues much more quickly.
I also believe Council should rely on data, not assumptions when evaluating the pilot. The City has access to extensive information about ride volumes, usage patterns, parking compliance, safety incidents, and other performance metrics. Those facts should guide future decisions far more than emotion or speculation.
After completing my review, I don’t believe the answer is simply to ban the program, nor do I believe it should continue unchanged.
Instead, I support a balanced approach that strengthens enforcement, improves public education, increases transparency, and holds both the operator and riders accountable. If the pilot can demonstrate that problems are being addressed and that the benefits outweigh the risks, then it deserves fair consideration. If it cannot, Council should not hesitate to make changes.
Good policy isn’t about choosing sides. It’s about gathering facts, listening to residents, asking tough questions, and making informed decisions.
Labels:
#Central,
#Durham,
#ingino,
#Job,
#joeingino,
Blacklivesmatter,
Canada,
Central,
Chisu,
COVID,
downtown,
Duher
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment