Saturday, February 3, 2024

I CANT SURVIVE ON MY PENSION

I CAN’T SURVIVE
ON MY PENSION By Rosaldo Russo Allow me to begin this column by thanking the Oshawa/Central newspaper for allowing me the opportunity and access to the press. Not to many if any allow an average person like me to tell the world what I see and think. In my opinion. The Editor/Publisher is a real upstanding type of guy. He shoots from the hip and hold traditional core values. My name is Rosaldo Russo. I came to this great country to make a better life for myself and my family. I thank Canada for everything it has allowed me to do and earn. I worked construction all my life. I know the value of hard work and honesty. I remember as a boy my father always telling me to work hard and buy land. So I did. I remember days when I did not have enough to eat. I go to work... but I did not wait for hand outs. I rounded up my pride my skill and my determination to succeed and went to work. In those days the only benefits we received was the fact we were employed. Before retiring I was the owner and operator of local material supply company that allowed me to retired without worry. Now that I have time to enjoy life. I look around me and have some concern for future generations. I see that the world is finished. Excuse me. Is this still Canada? I get a pension like most of you. I paid my taxes and still pay my taxes. I pay capital gain tax, income tax, retail tax and just about every tax that our government decides I should pay. After exhausting my cheque book. I sit here and think. How are other people doing it. How are people my age surviving. With taxes continue to go up. I would not be able to pay my taxes based on my pension. I am disgusted at the Prime Minister. At our Provincial elect. Without doubt with our Mayor Dan Carter. Here is guy that never held a position of responsibility as he has now. He makes mistakes we pay with tax increases. Yet, he goes around spewing how great his administration is doing with all the contruction statistics. Statistics that only prove his incompetency. Our beloved incompetent leaders is allowing for the raping of our prime farm land by greedy developers that see an opportunity to make billions. They dont care about erecting two by four lego type homes and charging our kids million dollars. It is disgusting. Then guys like me that worked our asses off all our lives. Are mailed an envelop demanding we pay our taxes or else. What kind of freedom is this. Pay or else. After all the years of hard work to contribute to this country. My fellow countrymen threaten me to pay or else. Men like Carter a former homeless, drug addict illiterate. Come on people. It is time to rise and send a message. No more. Who votes these idiots in office? I sure did not. You would think that fellow countrymen would be of like interest. Now don’t get me wrong. I have limited education. But I know right from wrong. I know the value of a hard days work. I know the value of every dollar earned. I came to this country not with the expectations to be awarded, given and or treated special. I came to work hard. Contribute and give back. Even in times of hardship. I refused hand outs and any form of charity. Now in my last chapter of life. I feel for the youth of tomorrow. I feel for seniors like me that are forced out of their homes, because they can’t pay their taxes. Am I preaching to a deaf society. To a numb heart? I pray to god not.

No comments:

Post a Comment