Friday, October 29, 2021

THANK YOU DURHAM REGIONAL POLICE SERVICES

By Joe Ingino Editor/Publisher “I live a dream in a nightmare world” I knew it was none of my business. But I thought I watch from afar. After all the bad press the police receive. I thought to see first hand police in action. Most of the international media tend to take particular incidents and blow them out of proportion. Sensationalize them in order to keep ratings up. Well on thursday October 28th 2021 at about 9pm or so. On Simcoe St. South. At the old BMO location. Three individuals laid on the entrance way of the empty building. I looked at these folk with a broken heart as any one of us could end up there. Maybe not today nor tomorrow. But if life was to get real hard. That is not a real possibility. Sure I can hear the inflated egos claiming. Never me. If I had a dime every time I hear that. Never me - will i get sick. Never me - will I loose my job. Never me - will social unrest drive me to no food or shelter. I can hear international Never me - in Syria when over taken by foreign forces. Never me - in Afghanistan as the Taliban take control. Never me - as one nation after the other keep falling to COVID. The point here. NEVER EVER SAY NEVER.... As I looked at these three individuals. One of them began shaking uncontrollable.... The other two did nothing to help. Just as I was about to pull out my cell. A Durham Regional police cruiser appeared. He stopped and got out of his car. He attempted to talk to the woman and two men. She seemed lifeless at times. The officer and you could see in his face that he was concerned. I truly believed that this officer cared for those people and carefully was analyzing the situation. Personally I think that the officer showed great character. The smells, the filth, the risk to his health. As the officer attempted to talk to this woman. She was obviously under the influence of some sort of drug. As the officer interacted. You could tell that he was flustered but kept his cool and tried to give as much assistance as possible. Even asking if she needed to go to the hospital. The woman refused. The officer stood there and kept an eye on things. I was overwhelmed at the patience and the professionalism of this officer. My thought kept running to all the negativity the police get. How their profession in many cases becomes politicized and used as a tool to spearhead budgets. People if anything the consideration of cutting police should never be part of the budgetary process. Look at all the U.S. cities that have cut back. Crime rates have gone through the roof. We need to treat our police like we do our professional athletes. Policing is not an easy job and one that is crucial to our civility. Cutting the police only means slower response times. Limited resources in a time when we need all hands on deck. The police can’t become pieces picker uppers. They can’t become after the fact collectors. I give praise to the officer in Oshawa and all police doing a very difficult job. It is not about doing a difficult job it is about the people respecting and appreciating a very difficult job that most would not qualify to do. We need to teach our children respect for authority and to appreciate the fact that police are human also. That if we all do our part we all end up having a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment