Saturday, October 21, 2023

THE FIVE - TEN CENT HOP

By Rosaldo Russo Allow me to begin this column by thanking the Oshawa/Central newspaper for allowing me the opportunity and access to the press. Not to many if any allow an average person like me to tell the world what I see and think. In my opinion. The Editor/Publisher is a real upstanding type of guy. He shoots from the hip and hold traditional core values. My name is Rosaldo Russo. I came to this great country to make a better life for myself and my family. I thank Canada for everything it has allowed me to do and earn. I worked construction all my life. I know the value of hard work and honesty. I remember as a boy my father always telling me to work hard and buy land. So I did. I remember days when I did not have enough to eat. I go to work... but I did not wait for hand outs. I rounded up my pride my skill and my determination to succeed and went to work. In those days the only benefits we received was the fact we were employed. Before retiring I was the owner and operator of local material supply company that allowed me to retired without worry. Now that I have time to enjoy life. I look around me and have some concern for future generations. I see that the world is finished. For anyone that knows me. Will quickly note that in my previous life I was a professional dancer. I love music and I love dance. I know what you are thinking. A guy like me dancing. But yes, come over and I will show you the many trophies and awards. Well, enough of me and lets face the music. I have a question. Does gasoline appreciate and depreciate over night? Does the value for gas differ up to 10 cents from night to day. I been keeping my eyes on the prices. 1.40 in the morning. 1.50 at night. Then you go next day. 1.41 in the morning and 1.51 at night. At first I thought, It was my eye sight. Then I thought, ok Charlie. Dementia is kicking in and I am imagining this. Well folks, I was wrong on both counts. Then I got smart. I thought to myself. I should invest in gasoline. Buy low and sell high. Then after my stock broker fell off his chair laughing. He looked at me and said... nice try buddy but it does not work like that. Then I got concerned. I wondered in the modern day of convenience. What if this fluctuation is by design. The gas price never really goes down. If anything it keeps going up. Then how are we to know that when we are forced to get out of our car. Walk over to the pump. Pre-pay with your credit card after playing the PIN number answer the stupid questions...that the pump meter is not rigged. How is it that for example when I punch in 100 worth of gas. My tank for some miraculous reason fill at exactly 100 dollars. Coincidence or the basis of a conspiracy theory? You may be laughing. Think about it. How are we to trust gas stations? They are openly ripping us off by lowering and increasing what the charge by gallon. Who regulates what goes on in an electronic gasoline dispenser? We are sheep to the slaughter. First, they sell us that for our convenience we have to pump our own gas. Then for our convenience they force us to pre-pay. Then, they force us to use their slot machine type of dispensing. YOU NEVER WIN. I want for my convenience, the old style stations. You drive up. Two attendants would come out. One pump gas the other check your oil. Offer you coffee. If you pumped so much gas they would give a gift. That was convenience and service. Doomed we are...

No comments:

Post a Comment