Saturday, October 7, 2023

I LOVE YOU

The English words "The pen is mightier than the sword" were first written by novelist and playwright Edward Bulwer-Lytton in 1839, in his historical play Cardinal Richelieu. His literal gesture can’t be ever more true as words have been used through out time to mislead, confuse and push agenda other than that of which the literal meaning entitles the writer to peruse. The key to this the talent of the writer to communicate a message that is other than that of the conjuctional meaning of it’s literal intent. Words, like. Love, Hate, Ignorance, Passion, Prejudice, Bias, Justice, Fair, Equal and so on. Words that if used in conjunction with other words will communicate very different understanding by those tuning in. Take for example the word LOVE - What is the full meaning of love? : a quality or feeling of strong or constant affection for and dedication to another. motherly love. 2. a. : attraction based on sexual desire : the strong affection and tenderness felt by lovers. Love encompasses a range of strong and positive emotional and mental states, from the most sublime virtue or good habit, the deepest interpersonal affection, to the simplest pleasure. Then by definition the interpretation can be manipulated in all sorts of ways and for all sorts of purposes. Positive and negative. As a reader we must not be entangled in a web of ignorance that leads us to a path of misjudgment in support of a cause or agenda without actually acknowledging the intent of the message sender. For example. I LOVE YOU. Do I love you as a friend, as a person as a lover as a family member... and so on. Then if we have such difficulty with a simple words as LOVE. Imagine our ignorance when we communicate other words that are presented to with intent to arouse a particular emotion. I just used the word ‘ignorance’. Many would become offended by such term. In reality. Ignorance means - lack of knowledge or information. synonyms: incomprehension, unawareness, unconsciousness, inexperience, innocence, unfamiliarity with, lack of enlightenment about, lack of knowledge about, lack of information about, cluelessness, nescience, lack of knowledge, lack of education, unenlightenment, benightedness, lack of intelligence, unintelligence, stupidity, foolishness, idiocy, denseness, brainlessness, mindlessness, slow-wittedness, thickness, dimness, dumbness, dopiness, doziness. Boy that is a mouthful. And to think most of us would deem the word to be an insult. By definition, one could say that we are all ignorant as we can’t profess to know everything. Here is where the manipulation of language becomes dangerous. As calling someone ignorant can be perceived as negative when in literal actuality you are just pointing out that possibly the person’s argument before you lacks information or knowledge. Much like someone reading something and jumping to conclusion on a particular issue without full knowledge of the meaning of the words they find offensive. Groups throughout history have been use for the purpose of persecution and malice attacks on another to use language to fan social amber against another. By now you have heard the wild fire of attention I have received in the press over my intentions to set up a Halloween prop on property... Neighbours opposed it and through the use of language... I was labeled wrongly. I can appreciate other peoples point of view and opinion. You probably have heard by now the dilemma I am facing at Pickering City Hall. I would like to address the recent press release issued by Mayor Ashe which misrepresents my comments and attempts to discredit my concerns regarding modern-day slavery. The mayor's statement suggests that I compared modern-day slavery to anti-slavery efforts, which is not the case. My intention was never to make a direct comparison between these two aspects. Instead, I sought to shed light on the issue of modern-day slavery, which exists in various forms and affects individuals from all backgrounds. I also want to emphasize that I recognize the power of language and the importance of using words mindfully. It is crucial to treat each other with respect, sensitivity, and an understanding of historical context. However, it is disappointing that Mayor Ashe has failed to engage in a respectful conversation with me regarding my comments before issuing this statement. Mayor Ashe's attempt to undermine my concerns by accusing me of using false and harmful comparisons is baseless. I have never made any comparisons in my statements, and his assertion is an unfounded attempt to discredit my position. Subsequently PABRT released the following statement. On September 26, 2023, City of Pickering Councillor Lisa Robinson stated that she was a 'modern-day slave' due to losing 30 days of pay after an investigation by the City’s integrity commissioner. This comment has left members of the City of Pickering - Pickering Anti-Black Racism Taskforce (PABRT) horrified and deeply concerned. As per Edward Bulwer-Lytton coin phrase - "The pen is mightier than the sword" - This could not be more true. I find these actions are unfair and unjust. Unfair, as I feel I am being punished and persecuted. I feel as if the PABRT is being used in an attempt give creditability to attack me. I feel that the words used lack understanding and are being intentionally used with malice intent in order to fan social ambers against me. Much like ‘I LOVE YOU’. We must understand the words in order to give creditability to the argument. Otherwise we act out of ignorance and understanding. My intent was to illustrate the fact that the City is forcing me to work for no pay. By definition: Slavery is the ownership of a person as property, especially in regards to their labor. Slavery typically involves compulsory work with the slave's location of work and residence dictated by the party that holds them in bondage. Enslavement is the placement of a person into slavery. Wikipedia. If this stand true. By the many municipal regulations as an elected official I am inslaved to serve those that I represent. Slavery has many meaning. Much like LOVE. Then why is the PABRT assuming wrongfully that it is a race thing... a historical thing. Just recently the government of Canada passed this Act. Canada Passes Modern Slavery Act On May 11, 2023, Canada passed An Act to enact Fighting Against Forced Labour and Child Labour in Supply Chains Act and to amend the Customs Tariff (the “Act”). As we reported previously, the Act will create supply chain transparency and reporting obligations for certain companies as part of Canada’s efforts to fight against forced labour and child labour in Canadian supply chains.What Obligations Are Placed on Companies?Covered companies will be required to report to the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness (the “Minister”) on or before May 31 of each year. Does this act have anything to do with historical racism? Obviously not. I hope the PABRT retracts its comments and opinions against me. PABRT was set up to prevent prejudice, bia and discrimination. Now I feel like I am the victim that needs PABRT representation and not persecution. “Beneath the rule of men entirely great, the pen is mightier than the sword.” This is the original quote, and I think the prefix condition is important. “The pen is mightier than the sword” is obviously not always a true statement, but it is when one is “beneath the rule of men entirely great.”

No comments:

Post a Comment