Saturday, April 23, 2022

NOT JUST ANOTHER DAY

By Rosaldo Russo Allow me to begin this column by thanking the Oshawa/Central newspaper for allowing me the opportunity and access to the press. Not to many if any allow an average person like me to tell the world what I see and think. In my opinion. The Editor/Publisher is a real upstanding type of guy. He shoots from the hip and hold traditional core values. My name is Rosaldo Russo. I came to this great country to make a better life for myself and my family. I thank Canada for everything it has allowed me to do and earn. I worked construction all my life. I know the value of hard work and honesty. I remember as a boy my father always telling me to work hard and buy land. So I did. I remember days when I did not have enough to eat. I go to work... but I did not wait for hand outs. I rounded up my pride my skill and my determination to succeed and went to work. In those days the only benefits we received was the fact we were employed. Before retiring I was the owner and operator of local material supply company that allowed me to retired without worry. Now that I have time to enjoy life. I look around me and have some concern for future generations. I see that the world is finished. I say this with sadness and tears in my eyes. I am a common man caught in a time of social transition. I remember the days of my youth. Having to look for opportunity and appreciate every bit of help I would receive. I had pride but did what needed to be done in order to not only live another day but also make sure that my family did not go without or suffer. The long hours doing jobs I at times did not want. Construction is not easy. Today, I look around and people have no conviction. No responsibility and no sense of self worth. I watch what is taking place in the Ukraine and how the media reports death. The death of civilians. Children, the old, women and the innocent. There is no justice. No humanity. Then again... it appears that the atrocities against humanity during war are being amplified. We can identify with the human suffering as we see ourselves in their plea to live in a free democratic country that offers opportunity as Canada has me. I can’t help to tear to think that many Canadians take this great country for granted. That others feels as this country owes them something. When in reality this country offers the greatest opportunity of all. We can become the people of the Ukraine. We are not immune from oppression nor threat of war. We must rejoice in the quality of life we have and vow to do all in our power to preserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment