Saturday, June 1, 2024

NOT IN MY BACKYARD

By Rosaldo Russo Allow me to begin this column by thanking the Oshawa/Central newspaper for allowing me the opportunity and access to the press. Not to many if any allow an average person like me to tell the world what I see and think. In my opinion. The Editor/Publisher is a real upstanding type of guy. He shoots from the hip and hold traditional core values. My name is Rosaldo Russo. I came to this great country to make a better life for myself and my family. I thank Canada for everything it has allowed me to do and earn. I worked construction all my life. I know the value of hard work and honesty. I remember as a boy my father always telling me to work hard and buy land. So I did. I remember days when I did not have enough to eat. I go to work... but I did not wait for hand outs. I rounded up my pride my skill and my determination to succeed and went to work. In those days the only benefits we received was the fact we were employed. Before retiring I was the owner and operator of local material supply company that allowed me to retired without worry. Now that I have time to enjoy life. I look around me and have some concern for future generations. I see that the world is finished. What is wrong with this country? What is wrong with out Federal government? OK, that is a rhetorical question as we all know what is wrong with it and counting the days to an election. Then, again. Do we truly have an alternative choice. Are we jumping from the frying pan on to the fire, when it comes to Canadian politics? I personally think, that it should be illegal to support foreign wars. That we as the Canadian government should stop supporting foreign civil wars and or war in general. We are supposed to be a peace loving nation. Not one that take sides on global conflict in order to obtain votes back home and or make it look like the average Canadian gives a rats ass. As Canadians we should care about Canadians. We should stop funding the Ukraine for example and use that money to dissolve the suffering happening on a daily basis right here at home. Suffering at many levels. From the person loosing their home due to foreclosure. To the many that are forced to live on the streets. Many today that live on our streets are not drug addicts. They are folk like me and you. Living in cars. In some cases with young children. Sure there is social services. But there is also basic human pride. I know personally. I would never turn to hand out. I would work 5 jobs 24 hours a day in order to preserve my dignity and pride, and not that flag waving rainbow crap. We as Canadians need to raise our standards. Get rid of this everything is ok mentality. Unify our people so that our customs, traditions and culture is preserved. I was born in Italy. I cam to this country for a reason. To contribute and to be proud to call myself Canadian. I do not expect anyone to learn my language. To eat my food. I will not dress other than within Canadian norms and traditions. I read about students negotiating at Durham College with administrators over the Palestine situation. I say, throw them in jail. Take their academic status away and if not from this country. Send them back. I don’t have to accept you. You on the other hand owe Canada for the opportunity to be here. CANADA FOR CANADIANS.

No comments:

Post a Comment